Jenna of Jenna Does Books, did a post recently where she basically prepared us for all the awesomeness she would bestow upon us at BEA. I thought this was an AWESOME idea so of course we must make an “introduction” post to prepare y’all for the Read. Sleep. Repeat. dynamic duo.
Let me answer this question for you….no. No you are not ready and I don’t think you ever will be. O___O
So I’m Octavia. I’m 25, a perpetual smart ass and I have these mama bear instincts that make me very protective of those close to me. Even though I’m pretty open with my life on the blog and twitter (within reason) here are a few things you may not know:
- I have sever acne (yes even at 25) and it makes me extremely self conscious. It’s something I’ve just started to accept and I never wear make up so I don’t believe in trying to hide it, or from it, for that matter. So I just smile through it, wash my face and try not to let that stop me too much.
- I will not just walk up and start a conversation. I can hold one without a problem but initiating a conversation is way outside my comfort zone!
- Being 5’3″ I don’t like the word “short”. In fact I’m the tallest person on my moms side of the family so take that “short” word!
- Once I do start talking I can indeed talk quite a bit, so don’t be put off by the full 180 I pull. It’s not that I dislike talking to people, I just feel really awkward and intrusive just walking up to someone and saying hi.
- I won’t stand for my friends (or those near me) taking shit from others. I’m not a “fly off the handle” type of person but I do have one hell of a temper and nothing brings that out of me more than someone being rude or a jackass to a friend of mine.
- BEA is just the first leg of my vacation! Once I leave NY on Sat I’m heading down to Georgia to bring my baby girl back up to Ohio for the summer. Crazy excited for this since I haven’t seen my little girl in person since February. 🙁 Even though we FaceTime daily I can’t wait to hug her!
- I’m rooming with Nikki of There Were Books Involved and I’m really excited! You will find that there are very few people I actually call my “friend” (trust issues *shrugs*) but she truly is a great friend. We’ve been planning for BEA since January and the fact it’s almost here is totally freaking us out!
- There is a 99% chance that by the end of our conversation I’ll have called you honey or suga at least 37 times. It’s not to be condescending I swear! I have some very southern roots and sometimes I forget everyone isn’t used to that.
Before I get on a plane to BEA I’ll tweet/instagram a pic of me so those going to the Bookrageous Book Bash will know what I look like. I’ll do the same for each day I’m in NY so when we’re on the floor I’ll be somewhat easy to spot out. Small FYI, I usually look evil but if you approach me I promise I do smile. 🙂
And now let me re-introduce my lovely co-blogger SHELLY!!
*Shelly takes the stage*
Thanks Octavia for the lovely introduction and information. I can’t wait to meet you AND EEEEEPPP FOR YOUR REUNION WITH THE LITTLE ONE!
Allow me to introduce myself in relation to BEA/NYC:
- If I see you, expect me to follow you creepily with an awed look on my face. I have done this in the past, people say it’s very creepy, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED *dun dun DUNN*
- My dad is taking me to NYC this year so if you see a father-daughter duo who look eerily similar with short brown hair, that’s us.
- I try to be polite when first meeting people but once I feel comfortable around you, I’ll probably squeal and yell. I can be very loud
- I use hand motions when talking. If you watch some of my vlogs, you’d notice it right away.
- I sunburn so easily and I have very sensitive skin. I have a lot of freckles and my cheeks are perpetually pink.
- I want to take pictures with all the lovely people I met so if I ask you for a picture with me, you have officially been warned!
- I’m also a crazy planner especially when it comes to new places so I’ve been planning this WAAYY in advance!
(I would take an updated icon/picture but I am extremely lazy and tired and it is a Friday night so….)
I can’t wait to meet you all in NYC and if you can’t make it, I hope that you’ll be avidly following all the tweets and celebrating in the book fun anyway!